top of page

Common Immigration and Naturalization Forms and Fees

Form I-20

If you're an international student planning to study in the United States, you'll definitely come across Form I-20, officially known as the Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status. This form is issued by U.S. schools to students who are accepted into a program of study. It's a critical document that you'll need to apply for your F-1 student visa, which allows you to enter the U.S. to study. Think of Form I-20 as your ticket to start your educational journey in the U.S., as it includes important details about your school, program, and financial information. Let's dive into some common questions about Form I-20.

Form I-912

Form I-912, Request for Fee Waiver, is a form used by individuals who are unable to pay the filing fees for certain immigration forms. This form is a valuable resource for those facing financial hardship, allowing them to request a waiver of the fees required for various applications and petitions with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). By completing and submitting Form I-912, eligible applicants can alleviate the financial burden associated with their immigration process, making it more accessible for individuals and families in need.

Form I-942

Form I-942, Request for Reduced Fee, is an application used by individuals who need help affording the costs associated with filing for U.S. citizenship. This form allows applicants with limited financial resources to request a reduced filing fee for Form N-400, Application for Naturalization. By providing proof of their income and financial situation, eligible applicants can significantly reduce the cost of becoming a U.S. citizen, making the process more accessible to those in need.

Form I-865

Form I-865, officially known as the Sponsor's Notice of Change of Address, is used by individuals who have previously filed Form I-864, Affidavit of Support. This form is necessary for sponsors to notify U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) of their new address within 30 days of moving. Keeping USCIS informed of your current address is crucial because it ensures you receive important correspondence related to the sponsorship responsibilities you have taken on for an immigrant. By using Form I-865, sponsors help maintain the integrity of the immigration process and fulfill their legal obligations.

Form G-1450

Form G-1450, Authorization for Credit Card Transactions, is used by individuals to pay their U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) fees with a credit card. This form simplifies the payment process for various immigration applications by allowing applicants to provide their credit card information directly to USCIS. By using Form G-1450, applicants can avoid the hassle of writing checks or money orders, making the submission process more convenient and efficient.

Form G-1145

Form G-1145, also known as the E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance, is a simple form that allows you to receive electronic notifications from USCIS. When you submit certain applications or petitions, you can use this form to request email or text message updates about the status of your submission. This can be incredibly helpful for staying informed and keeping track of your immigration process without having to wait for paper notices in the mail. By providing your email address or phone number, USCIS will send you timely updates, ensuring you are aware of any important developments or next steps.

Form AR-11

Form AR-11, also known as the Alien’s Change of Address Card, is a simple yet crucial form that all non-U.S. citizens residing in the United States need to fill out when they change their address. This form ensures that U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has up-to-date contact information for you, which is important for receiving official notices and maintaining your immigration status. By submitting Form AR-11, you comply with the legal requirement to notify USCIS of your new address within ten days of moving, helping to avoid any potential issues with your immigration status.

Form N-648

Form N-648, Medical Certification for Disability Exceptions, is used by applicants for U.S. citizenship who seek an exemption from the English and civics requirements of the naturalization process due to a physical or developmental disability or mental impairment. This form must be completed by a licensed medical professional, such as a doctor or clinical psychologist, who can certify the applicant's disability and its impact on their ability to learn or demonstrate the required knowledge for naturalization. The goal of Form N-648 is to ensure that eligible individuals with disabilities are not unfairly disadvantaged in their pursuit of U.S. citizenship.

Form N-600K

Form N-600K, Application for Citizenship and Issuance of Certificate Under Section 322, is used by children who were born outside the United States to a U.S. citizen parent, and who are seeking U.S. citizenship. This form allows eligible children to obtain a Certificate of Citizenship without having to live in the United States for a specific period. It's a crucial form for parents who want to secure U.S. citizenship for their children born abroad, ensuring they have all the rights and privileges that come with being a U.S. citizen.

Form N-600

Form N-600, Application for Certificate of Citizenship, is used by individuals who are already U.S. citizens by law but were born outside the United States. This form allows these individuals to request a Certificate of Citizenship, which serves as official proof of their U.S. citizenship. It is commonly used by parents applying on behalf of their children who acquired U.S. citizenship at birth or through the naturalization of their parents. Obtaining a Certificate of Citizenship through Form N-600 provides a clear and definitive document that confirms an individual's status as a U.S. citizen.

Form N-565

Form N-565, Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document, is used by individuals who need to replace their Certificate of Naturalization or Certificate of Citizenship. This form is essential for those who have lost, damaged, or had their documents stolen. Additionally, it is used to update personal information, such as a name change, on these certificates. Filing Form N-565 ensures that your legal status and identity documents are accurate and up-to-date, providing peace of mind and helping to avoid potential complications in legal or travel situations.

Form N-470

Form N-470, Application to Preserve Residence for Naturalization Purposes, is a form used by certain U.S. lawful permanent residents who need to remain outside the United States for an extended period due to specific employment-related reasons. This form helps protect their continuous residence status required for naturalization. By filing Form N-470, eligible green card holders working abroad can ensure that their time spent outside the U.S. does not negatively impact their ability to apply for U.S. citizenship in the future.

Form N-336

Form N-336, Request for a Hearing on a Decision in Naturalization Proceedings, is used by individuals who have had their application for U.S. citizenship (Form N-400) denied. If you believe the denial was incorrect, you can use Form N-336 to request a hearing with a USCIS officer to review your case. This form gives applicants a second chance to present their case and provide additional evidence to support their eligibility for naturalization. It’s an essential step for those seeking to challenge and potentially overturn a citizenship denial.

Form G-28

Form G-28, officially known as the "Notice of Entry of Appearance as Attorney or Accredited Representative," is a form used in U.S. immigration processes. If you're working with an immigration attorney or an accredited representative to help with your case, this form lets the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) know that your attorney is authorized to act on your behalf. Essentially, it's a way to ensure that USCIS communicates directly with your legal representative about your case, providing updates and important information. This can be a huge help in navigating the complex and often confusing immigration process.

Form DS-117

Hey there! As an immigration attorney, I often encounter clients who have unintentionally abandoned their green cards. It's more common than you might think! If you've found yourself in this situation, you might need Form DS-117, also known as the "Application to Determine Returning Resident Status." This form is your lifeline to reclaiming your status as a lawful permanent resident (LPR) if you've been outside the U.S. for an extended period and circumstances beyond your control prevented your timely return. Essentially, it's a way to prove to the U.S. government that you didn't intend to give up your green card and you deserve to get back your resident status.

Form I-864 A

Hey there! If you’re in the process of sponsoring an immigrant for a green card, you might come across Form I-864A, Contract Between Sponsor and Household Member. This form is used when the primary sponsor (the person who filed Form I-864, Affidavit of Support) needs the financial help of a household member to meet the income requirements to sponsor the immigrant. Essentially, Form I-864A allows a household member to combine their income with the sponsor's to ensure that the sponsor can meet the necessary financial criteria. It’s like getting a financial co-signer to show USCIS that the immigrant will have adequate support and won’t become a public charge.

Form I-751

Hey there! If you're a conditional permanent resident in the U.S. because of your marriage, you'll eventually need to file Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence. This form is crucial for transitioning from a conditional green card, which is valid for only two years, to a permanent one, which doesn’t expire. Filing Form I-751 is essentially you telling the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) that your marriage is genuine and that you’re still together. Think of it as the final step to secure your permanent residency and continue your journey in the U.S. without the conditions attached to your green card.

Form I-693

Hey there! If you're on the path to getting your green card, you’ve probably come across Form I-693, Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record. This form is crucial for your green card application because it ensures you meet the health-related standards set by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Essentially, Form I-693 is all about proving that you’re healthy and won’t pose a public health risk when you get your permanent resident status. You’ll need to visit a USCIS-designated civil surgeon who will conduct a medical exam, check your vaccination records, and complete the form. This is an essential step to show that you’re fit and ready to live in the U.S. permanently.

Form N-400

Hey there! If you're ready to take the final step in your immigration journey and become a U.S. citizen, then Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, is what you need. This form is your official application to become a U.S. citizen, allowing you to enjoy all the rights and responsibilities that come with citizenship. Filing Form N-400 is a significant milestone, marking your transition from permanent resident to a fully naturalized citizen. It involves a detailed application process, including background checks, an interview, and a citizenship test, but once completed, it grants you the privilege of calling yourself a U.S. citizen.

Form I-765

Hey there! If you're navigating the U.S. immigration system and looking to work legally, you'll likely encounter Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization. This form is your ticket to obtaining an Employment Authorization Document (EAD), often called a work permit. Filing Form I-765 allows you to legally work in the United States while your immigration application is being processed, whether you're waiting for a green card, a change of status, or some other immigration benefit. Think of it as a crucial step to ensure you can support yourself and your family during the immigration process.

Form DS-260/DS-261

Hey there! If you’re in the process of immigrating to the U.S., you’ll likely come across two important forms: DS-260 and DS-261. These forms are part of the process for applying for an immigrant visa. Form DS-260, the Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration Application, is what you'll fill out to apply for an immigrant visa. Form DS-261, the Online Choice of Address and Agent, is used to designate someone to receive communication from the National Visa Center (NVC) on your behalf. Think of these forms as the paperwork that gets the ball rolling for your green card application. They’re crucial steps in making your immigration journey smoother and more efficient.

Form DS-160

If you're planning to visit the United States for a temporary stay, like a vacation, work, or study, you'll need to fill out Form DS-160. This is the Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application, and it’s a key part of your visa application process. Form DS-160 collects all the necessary information about your travel plans, background, and intent to enter the U.S. It’s submitted electronically to the Department of State, and you'll need it for your visa interview at the U.S. consulate or embassy. Filling it out might seem daunting, but it’s an essential step to get your visa approved and start your U.S. adventure!

Form I-94

Hey there! If you’ve traveled to the U.S., you might have come across Form I-94. This form, also known as the Arrival/Departure Record, is issued by the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) when you enter the country. It’s essentially a record of your entry and exit, showing the date you arrived, the visa status under which you entered, and how long you’re allowed to stay. Nowadays, most of this information is recorded electronically, but it’s still crucial to know about your I-94 status because it directly affects your stay in the U.S.

Form I-90

Hey there! If you’re a green card holder in the U.S., you’ll eventually need to deal with Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card. This form is used to renew or replace your green card, whether it's about to expire, has been lost, stolen, or damaged, or if your personal information has changed. Think of Form I-90 as the key to keeping your green card status up to date and ensuring you have a valid card that proves your lawful permanent residency. Keeping your green card current is crucial for traveling, working, and proving your legal status in the U.S.

Form I-129F

Hey there! If you're planning to bring your fiancé to the United States so you can get married, Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e), is the form you'll need. This form is filed by U.S. citizens who want to bring their foreign fiancé to the U.S. to get married and apply for a green card. Think of it as the first step in the K-1 visa process, which allows your fiancé to enter the U.S. for 90 days so you can tie the knot. Filing Form I-129F shows USCIS that you have a genuine relationship and intend to marry within that 90-day period.

Form I-864

Hey there! If you're looking to sponsor an immigrant for a green card, you'll definitely need to get familiar with Form I-864, Affidavit of Support. This form is all about proving that you can financially support the person you’re sponsoring so they won't become a public charge. Basically, by signing Form I-864, you’re committing to provide financial assistance to your immigrant relative, ensuring they have the means to live without needing government assistance. It's a crucial part of the immigration process because it helps USCIS determine that the new immigrant won't be a financial burden.

Form I-130

If you're looking to bring a family member to the U.S. to live with you permanently, Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, is your first step. This form is used to establish the existence of a qualifying family relationship between you, the petitioner, and your relative, the beneficiary. By filing this form, you're essentially telling U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) that you want to sponsor your family member for a green card. It’s a crucial part of reuniting families and making sure your loved ones can join you in the U.S. permanently.

Form I-130A

If you're looking to bring your spouse or family member to the United States, Form I-130A, the Supplemental Information for Spouse Beneficiary, is an important part of the process. This form is used along with Form I-130 to provide additional information about the spouse who is seeking a green card. Think of it as the paperwork that helps the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) get a complete picture of your relationship and your spouse's background. Filing Form I-130A is a crucial step in ensuring that your loved one can join you in the U.S. and start their path to permanent residency.

Form I-131

Hey there! If you're planning to travel outside the U.S. but need to ensure you can return without any issues, Form I-131, Application for Travel Document, is your go-to form. This form is used to apply for a re-entry permit, refugee travel document, or advance parole travel document. Essentially, it's your ticket to travel abroad and come back to the U.S. without jeopardizing your immigration status. Whether you're a green card holder, asylum seeker, or someone waiting for your green card, Form I-131 helps you manage your travel plans without the stress of re-entry issues.

Form I-485

If you're on the path to becoming a lawful permanent resident in the U.S., Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, is your ticket to getting a green card. This form is used to apply for a change of status to permanent resident while you're already in the U.S. It's a crucial part of the immigration process for those who want to make the U.S. their permanent home. Whether you're here on a visa or have another temporary status, filing Form I-485 is the step you take to transition to a more stable and permanent situation. It's a big deal, so let's break it down!

bottom of page