top of page

Form I-751

Hey there! If you're a conditional permanent resident in the U.S. because of your marriage, you'll eventually need to file Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence. This form is crucial for transitioning from a conditional green card, which is valid for only two years, to a permanent one, which doesn’t expire. Filing Form I-751 is essentially you telling the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) that your marriage is genuine and that you’re still together. Think of it as the final step to secure your permanent residency and continue your journey in the U.S. without the conditions attached to your green card.

What is an I-751 form?

Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, is used by conditional permanent residents who obtained their status through marriage. This form helps you remove the conditions on your green card and convert it to a permanent one. It's like telling USCIS, "Hey, our marriage is still genuine, and we’re still together."

How long does it take to get I-751 approved?

The processing time for Form I-751 can vary, but it generally takes anywhere from 12 to 18 months. Delays can happen, so it's always a good idea to submit your form well before your conditional green card expires.

What documents do I need to submit with I-751?

When filing Form I-751, you'll need to provide evidence of your ongoing marital relationship. This includes things like joint bank account statements, lease or mortgage agreements, utility bills, and photos of you and your spouse together. Essentially, anything that shows you're still living together and sharing a life.

How much does Form I-751 cost?

As of now, the filing fee for Form I-751 is $595, plus an $85 biometric services fee, making it a total of $680. It's always good to check the USCIS website for the most current fees.

Does an I-751 extend a green card?

Yes, once you file Form I-751, USCIS will issue a receipt notice extending your conditional resident status for another 18 months. This means you can continue to live and work in the U.S. legally while your application is being processed.

Can I apply for citizenship while I-751 is processing?

Yes, you can apply for U.S. citizenship while your I-751 is processing, provided you meet all the other naturalization requirements. Just remember that your I-751 must be approved before your citizenship application can be finalized.

Do I need a lawyer to file I-751?

While you don't necessarily need a lawyer to file Form I-751, it can be helpful, especially if your case is complicated or if you’ve had issues with USCIS before. An immigration lawyer can guide you through the process and help ensure everything is filed correctly.

Is USCIS approving I-751 without an interview?

In many cases, USCIS does approve Form I-751 without an interview, especially if the evidence provided is strong and convincing. However, they do reserve the right to call you in for an interview if they need more information or have any doubts.

Can I work while my I-751 is pending?

Yes, you can continue to work while your I-751 is pending. The receipt notice you get after filing your form will extend your conditional residency status, allowing you to work legally during the processing period.

bottom of page