top of page

Form I-765

Hey there! If you're navigating the U.S. immigration system and looking to work legally, you'll likely encounter Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization. This form is your ticket to obtaining an Employment Authorization Document (EAD), often called a work permit. Filing Form I-765 allows you to legally work in the United States while your immigration application is being processed, whether you're waiting for a green card, a change of status, or some other immigration benefit. Think of it as a crucial step to ensure you can support yourself and your family during the immigration process.

What is the I-765 form used for?

Form I-765 is used to apply for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD), which allows you to work legally in the United States. This form is crucial for individuals who are in the process of applying for other immigration benefits and need permission to work while their applications are being reviewed.

How long does it take to get approved for I-765?

The processing time for Form I-765 can vary, but it typically takes about 3 to 5 months. However, processing times can fluctuate depending on the volume of applications and the specifics of your case.

Who may file from the I-765 eligibility category?

Many individuals can file Form I-765, including those with pending asylum applications, DACA recipients, students with OPT, and individuals with pending adjustment of status applications, among others. Each eligibility category has its own specific requirements, so it's important to check which category you fall under.

What is the difference between I-765 and I-766?

Form I-765 is the application you file to request an Employment Authorization Document (EAD). Form I-766 is the actual EAD card you receive once your Form I-765 is approved. So, I-765 is the application process, and I-766 is the physical work permit.

What happens after I-765 is approved for the green card?

Once your I-765 is approved, you will receive an Employment Authorization Document (EAD), allowing you to work legally in the U.S. while your green card application is pending. This work permit is usually valid for one year and can be renewed if necessary.

Is I-765 the same as a green card?

No, the I-765 is not the same as a green card. Form I-765 is used to apply for a work permit (EAD), which is a temporary authorization to work in the U.S. A green card, on the other hand, is a permanent resident card that allows you to live and work in the U.S. indefinitely.

Can I-765 be denied?

Yes, Form I-765 can be denied if you do not meet the eligibility requirements or if your supporting documentation is not complete. It's important to carefully follow the instructions and provide all necessary information to avoid a denial.

Does EAD approval mean a green card will be approved?

No, getting your EAD (work permit) approved does not guarantee that your green card will be approved. The EAD allows you to work while your green card application is being processed, but the approval of your green card depends on meeting all the requirements for permanent residency.

How long after EAD to get a green card?

The time it takes to get your green card after receiving your EAD can vary widely depending on your specific case and the type of green card you're applying for. It can take several months to a few years. Your EAD allows you to work legally in the meantime.

Hopefully, this helps clarify things! Filing Form I-765 is an important step to ensure you can work while waiting for your other immigration benefits. If you have more questions or need further assistance, feel free to reach out. Good luck!

bottom of page